12th century castle perched in a dramatic location overlooking both the Teifi and Plysgog stream
Cilgerran Castle stands on a precipitous, craggy promontory overlooking the River Teifi where it merges with the Plysgog stream. The Teifi here is just at its tidal limit, so the castle was able to control both a natural crossing point and the passage of seagoing ships.
The exact origins of this site's fortifications are lost to history, but Cilgerran is first mentioned by name in 1164, when the Lord Rhys captured the castle here. It was retaken by William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, in 1204, only to be taken again by the Welsh during Llywelyn the Great's campaigns in 1215.
However, eight years later, William's son, another William, regained control, and it was probably he who built the imposing masonry castle we see today.